Behind Type A & Artsy

September 11, 2016

green smoothie


Many people say they would rather eat their calories than drink them. I am one of those people. Very rarely will I replace a meal with a shake or a snack with a drink, as I take every opportunity I can to put food in my mouth. Having said that, I think a green smoothie is a great addition to your diet because it helps you get nutrients that you may not get otherwise.

I've been making green (sometimes purple or red) smoothies for a while and have perfected the trade. You are probably thinking, what trade? All you do is blend up fruits and veggies, it's about the easiest thing someone can do. Yes, but here are some tips to make it go a little more smoothly.



You can add greek yogurt, almond milk, coconut water, etc. if you'd like but I keep it simple and use water. Also, if you want some extra protein you can add a nut butter. Chia seeds are a good source of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids so I save the PB for my apples. Although there are a lot of greens going into it, my green smoothies taste pretty sweet. Here's what I throw into my cup (and the order I throw them in):
  1. fresh fruit 
  2. spinach or kale
  3. frozen banana
  4. cucumber
  5. celery sticks
  6. frozen fruit
  7. chia seeds, fiber supplement, and ground flax seeds
  8. choice of liquid 


I've tried frozen fruit from the grocery store and the taste is not so great. I recommend buying fresh fruit during peak seasons and freezing it for times when apples and bananas are about all you can get. I have countless bags of fresh frozen bluberries, mangos, and strawberries ready for the winter.

To save me time during the week, I put everything into cup ahead of time and add in the water to blend when I am ready to drink. I'm a big believer of planning ahead so everything you can do to avoid the morning rush or late night chore on a weekday, I say go for it!

SP

...listening to No Money by Galantis

Comments? Questions? Leave them here or shoot me an email.





No comments:

Post a Comment